DiaspoCare is Providing Peace of Mind For The Health of Your Loved Ones With its Healthcare Inclusion Platform
Serge-Alain Wandji is the CEO and Co-Founder of DiaspoCare.com , a startup whose mission is to increase healthcare inclusion in developing countries. The mobile platform provides new opportunities to connect the African Diaspora to pharmacists and clinicians back home while also giving African sponsors in the Western Hemisphere the opportunity to deliver quality healthcare to their loved ones.
Whether separated by thousands of miles or living in another city, DiaspoCare’s healthcare financing services give families peace of mind that their funds deliver quality healthcare for their loved ones. The platform works through partnerships with healthcare providers, like pharmacies, where medical expenses are channeled directly to the service providers in their home country while tracking transactions and protecting privacy.
“I was born and raised in Cameroon, Africa. My parents depleted their savings to send me to college in North America when I was 18 years old. I settled my due with my father by completing a PhD, postdoctoral work in biomedical research and a Master’s degree in management of technology. However, like many African immigrants know, you settle your dues with your mother by helping others. We started DiaspoCare seven years ago because, as African immigrants, we have a strong moral obligation to help our loved ones back home. When you look at healthcare in many developing countries, 12 of the most prescribed medicines cost 5-50x the international price. Low-income earners often spend 93% of their income on housing, food, transportation and utilities, leaving only 7% for medicines. It would take them as much as 14-days wage to afford one course of some essential medicines. So, it’s not surprising that the lack of affordability leaves two-thirds of the people living in Africa out of the healthcare system,” explains CEO and Co-Founder of DiaspoCare, Serge-Alain Wandji.
He goes on to say, “The African diaspora takes its social obligations seriously and, as reported by the World Bank in 2019, transferred around $48Bn to their families in home countries to help with healthcare, food, utility bills, and other expenses. The problem is that healthcare funds are frequently diverted to other uses and not enough medicine is bought, if any at all.
When we created this platform, we wanted to find a way to unbundle the portion of remittances meant for healthcare and send it directly to a network of trusted pharmacies and clinics while also ensuring the delivery of quality medication and healthcare services to family members and loved ones. In the past, without knowing the cost of medicines, we would take a guess and send say, $50-$100 when solicited by a family member. Given the number of relatives who depend on us, it can be quite a lot of money. By providing price transparency and enabling micro-payments directly to pharmacies, DiaspoCare makes it practical to cover even your remote relative’s $2 malaria prescription. Also, our transaction fees are less than 3% and we are working toward completely eliminating them. So we stretch every healthcare dollar invested on our platform to touch many more lives. These efforts are significant steps towards healthcare inclusion.
Register as a sponsor on our mobile app. When your family needs medication or clinical services, all you need to do is make the payment from the app directly to the Pharmacy or Clinic and your loved ones will be taken care of.”
The DiaspoCare system is not only helping families, but it’s also helping Pharmacists earn new revenues from global customers. “Naturally, when we came to pharmacists with the idea, they loved it. Before we even built our platform, they were signing up for our program.”
“DiaspoCare is an opportunity for us to not only finance healthcare for many people who can’t afford it but also to ensure they actually get quality medicines.”
The DiaspoCare project is deployed in Kenya and Ghana, and piloting in Nigeria and Cote-d’Ivoire, with 240 pharmacies. Some partners include GoodLife Pharmacy, which is private-equity funded and the largest pharmacy chain in Kenya, two major hospitals, Jubilee Health Insurance, the largest health insurance company in East Africa and Ecobank, the largest bank in Africa. The venture is led by a brilliant team of highly skilled professionals who have a strong moral and social obligation to help their loved ones back home with their healthcare needs. For more information on DiaspoCare, visit www.diaspocare.com.
Company Name: DiaspoCare
Contact Person: Serge-Alain Wandji
Address: 2147 University Avenue West, Suite 105, St. Paul, MN 55114
Phone Number: +1 612 444 9876
Website Links: http://www.diaspocare.com/